I have to confess, this week’s recipe came out of a necessity to use something up. A while ago, I bought a five pound bag of frozen peaches. At the time, we had a use for them. Fast forward to now, that bag has been sitting in my freezer for months. I’ve been eating them on the weekends, but that’s going pretty slow. I decided to get a recipe to use them up. I found a recipe from Epicurious for Pork Tenderloin with Tomato Peach Compote. I looked at it and found I could make this a slow cooker recipe and tomato free. I also plan to pack in a few more peaches in the recipe too. The recipe is a great calorie-wise. Some of the vitamin content could be higher, but that’s easily fixable. Here are the original stats:
- 286 Calories
- 11g Fat
- 90mg Cholesterol
- 95mg Sodium
- 262mg Potassium
- 12g Carbohydrate
- 36g Protein
- 18% Vitamin A
- 21% Vitamin C
- 2% Calcium
- 13% Iron
I believe the pumpkin I will be using will give us the vitamin A we need. I think I will lower the calories a tad to make room for some carbohydrate of your choice and some veggies. Here’s how I changed this recipe.
- I made this a slow cooker dish to keep the temperature low in my house.
- I replaced the fresh peaches with frozen.
- I replace the tomatoes with pumpkin puree.
- I increased the servings from 4 to 5 to lower the calories.
- I deleted the added oil to lower the calories and because I will not be using the stove.
That’s it. I plan to serve this with 1/2 cup brown rice and 4 ounces of green beans. Here are the final stats (for the pork only).
- 224 Calories
- 3g Fat
- 72mg Cholesterol
- 81mg Sodium
- 63mg Potassium
- 20g Carbohydrate
- 30g Protein
- 201% Vitamin A
- 146% Vitamin C
- 4% Calcium
- 12% Iron
Here’s the final recipe:
Slow Cooker Pork Tenderloin with Pumpkin-Peach Compote
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon chopped peeled ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 (3/4-pound) pork tenderloins
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 15oz can pure pumpkin puree
- 12oz frozen peaches, thawed and chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Add the peaches, onions, pumpkin puree, sugar and thyme to the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Add the pork tenderloin on top of the vegetables and fruit.
- Mash the garlic, ginger and curry powder together. Rub on the pork.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or 2-3 hours on high.
- Serve over rice.