This week I had a hankering for my favorite enchiladas, enchilada verde. I used to make these all the time. Shredded chicken, monterrey jack cheese and sour cream with tomatillo salsa. They are also time consuming to make. And they contain dairy. This week I found out that I had to delete some more items from my diet. Now it’s no more chocolate and other sweets that contain milk and non-dairy coffee creamer. I hope the deletions stop here. I’m growing tired of having to find substitutions for the things I love. However, I have been more and more relying on vegan recipes. I swear I’m not vegan. I love butter and honey and other non-meat animal-based products. But vegans sure know how to replace dairy. You don’t have to be vegan to enjoy vegan recipes.
Anyway, I had great luck with the TVP in the Vegan Beef Stew. So I decided I would turn my favorite enchiladas into a chili and use the TVP instead of chicken. I will also do a vegan sour cream to delete the dairy. I think this will be good. I am looking forward to an easy way to have my favorite enchiladas. If you can do the dairy, by all means use it. But if you want to or have to remove dairy from your diet, give it a try as is.
TVP Enchiladas Verde with Vegan Sour Cream
- One recipe Vegan Sour Cream from Cookie and Kate
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 pound of tomatillos cut into quarters
- 1 jalapeno or other chili to your level of heat
- juice of two limes
- 10 ounce package of TVP
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 green bell peppers chopped
- 20 ounces baby spinach
- 15 ounce can of great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- Place the garlic, cilantro, onion, tomatillo, jalapeno, and lime juice in a blender and puree until smooth. Set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a large pot and heat on medium until the oil shimmers. Add the bell pepper and saute until soft.
- Add in the vegetable broth, lentils, great northern beans, salsa, and TVP to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Take off the heat and stir in vegan sour cream.