This week I am doing a brand new recipe. One that is based off of Chicken Ghee Roast. It’s basically chicken roasted in a lovely butter based Indian masala. I wanted to make my own version using a lentil roast made into meatballs. Tony has asked me to lay off the tofu this week, so I am taking a recipe for lentil roast and combining it with the method of the Chicken Ghee Roast. This will not be vegan unless you use vegan butter. I am using whole butter instead of ghee, just because it’s easier. There will be a major shift in the method because the chicken requires a marinade where the lentil roast does not. No worries. I think this will be a delicious take. Here are the stats:
Here is our recipe:
Lentil Ghee Roast
For the lentil meatballs
- 1 1/2 cups lentils (plain brown lentils are best)
- 3 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth)
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup rolled oats
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice 1 tbsp
- 1/2 cup yogurt, any type
For the ghee roast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3-8 Dry red chilies
- 7-8 black peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 3 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Bring the lentils and broth or water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the rolled oats to a food processor along with the tumeric. Process until a flour forms.
- Add in the cooked lentils to the food processor.
- Add the oil, onions and garlic to a skillet heated over medium heat. Saute until the onions are soft.
- Add the onion to the food processor. Pulse the mixture until finely chopped.
- Roll into X meatballs and place on the baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Mix the yogurt and lemon juice in a bowl. Once the meatballs are browned, add them to the yogurt mix.
- Add the quinoa to 2 cups of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Set aside.
- Dry roast the red chilies on in a skillet on low heat for 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside. In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon of butter and roast, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cloves and peppercorns on low heat for 3 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool.
- Add the roasted chilies and spices with the garlic an tamarind paste to a food processor. Grind to a fine paste.
- Add the carrot and red bell pepper and 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan and saute over medium heat until soft. Set aside.
- Add the last tablespoon of butter and the spice paste and saute for 8 to 9 minutes or until the fat separates.
- Add the meatballs and sauce along with the sugar. Heat through.
- Serve over quinoa