To say I love Beef Stroganoff is an understatement. When I was a kid, I almost always chose this dish as my dinner on my birthday. I wouldn’t turn it down today, either. Why do I love this dish so much? It is creamy, beefy, and filling. I’ve made many different versions of this dish, but none in a casserole form. Better Homes and Gardens has a recipe for Beef Stroganoff Casserole that I was itching to try. However, since it summer, I don’t want to turn on the oven for this. Looking at the recipe, I can do most of this in the Instant Pot. I noticed this recipe uses already cooked beef, which is great in a pinch, but it can also be high in sodium. With the Instant Pot, I can make the beef in a flash. I think we can swap out the pasta too with some brown rice. I think we can make this dish comforting and healthy at the same time. Here are the original stats:
Here’s what I changed:
- I replaced the packaged beef with fresh beef to reduce the sodium.
- I replaced the tomato paste with umeboshi and tamarind pastes to remove the tomato.
- I replaced the sour cream with a non-dairy variety and cut the amount in half to reduce the calories and dairy.
- I replaced the beef broth with a low sodium variety to reduce the sodium.
- I replaced the flour with cornstarch to make the dish gluten free.
- I replaced the noodles with rice to make the dish gluten free.
- I added carrot, broccoli and bell pepper to increase the vitamins A and C.
Here are the final stats:
Here is the final recipe:
Beef Stroganoff Casserole in an Instant Pot
- 1 cup brown rice
- 17 ounces beef sirloin, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 large fresh Portobello mushrooms, stems removed and coarsely chopped (about 4 cups)
- 4 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon umeboshi paste
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika or Spanish paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound broccoli, crowns and peeled stems cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 8 ounce carton dairy free sour cream
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh dill or 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- Turn the Instant Pot on sauté and brown the beef. Add in the rice and two cups of broth to the pot. Cover and cook on low pressure for 20 minutes. Allow for a natural release. Remove the contents to a bowl.
- In the instant pot, cook mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, carrot and garlic in hot butter over on sauté mode for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in both pastes. Gradually stir in the remaining two cups of broth, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, and pepper along with the broccoli. Cook cook until the broccoli is crisp tender. Add the cornstarch to 1/3 cup of water to make a slurry. Add the slurry to the pan and stir until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup of the sour cream.
- Stir in the meat and mushroom mixture.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the remaining sour cream, horseradish, and snipped or dried dill. Serve with meat mixture.