Now that I am done with the Thanksgiving turkey, it’s time to turn back to lighter dishes. I think it is a good thing to have lighter dishes intertwined with the indulgences. This doesn’t mean you have to eat something that isn’t satisfying. I find this time of year a good time to do some great vegetarian dishes. We would call ourselves flexitarians. This means someone who eats both meat and vegetarian dishes. There are plenty of vegetarian dishes that are out of this world. I found this recipe from Abra’s Kitchen for Creamy Pumpkin Cauliflower Curry with Chickpeas and it looked like a good one to adapt that was vegetarian and easy. The last turkey dish was a lot of work, so I am in the mood for simple. This recipe fit the bill. Here are the original stats:
Really not too bad. The vitamin C and protein are low, but that’s really it. Here’s what I changed:
- I deleted the added salt.
- I replaced the chickpeas with a low sodium variety
- I replaced the broth with a low sodium variety
- I increased the amount of cauliflower to add vitamin C.
- I added tempeh to increase the protein
- I increased the servings from 4 to 5
Here are the final stats:
Here is the final recipe:
Creamy Pumpkin Cauliflower Curry with
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 6 cups cauliflower florets
- 1.5 (7.5oz) packages tempeh
- 1 can low sodium chickpeas rinsed
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1.5 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- pinch black pepper
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- In a medium pot over medium heat melt coconut oil. Add onions, garlic, and ginger and cook for 5 minutes until onions are tender.
- Add cauliflower, chickpeas, tempeh and vegetable stock. Simmer partially covered for 5 minutes.
- Remove cover add coconut milk, pumpkin, curry powder, salt, turmeric, and black pepper. Stir well to combine. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in lime juice.
- Serve over rice with fresh cilantro and lime wedges.