This started out as a recipe that caught my eye while scrolling through Facebook. Typically when a recipe uses the word “crack” in the title, it means that it is deliciously addictive. So when I came across a recipe for Slow Cooker Cream Cheese Crack Chicken from Plain Chicken, I had to stop and take a look. What’s not to love: chicken, cream cheese, and bacon. Yes, those are all great things, but not very healthy. I noticed a lack of vegetables besides the tomatoes, which of course will be swapped out. The cream cheese will be swapped out for a vegan variety. The sodium is sky high too. So this recipe will need a total makeover. However, I want this to live up to the “crack” in the original title. I want this to be addictive, but healthy. Here are the original stats:
Here’s what I changed:
- I swapped out the canned corn for frozen to lower the sodium.
- I swapped out the chicken broth with low sodium vegetable broth to lower the sodium and make it vegetarian.
- I am replacing the ranch seasoning mix with a homemade spice mix to lower the sodium.
- I replaced the cream cheese with a vegan variety to replace the dairy.
- I deleted the tomatoes and replaced with red bell pepper and fresh jalapeno to remove the tomatoes and increase the vitamin C.
- I replaced the chicken with tofu to make it vegetarian.
- I increased the servings to 10 to decrease the calories.
- I reduced the cheddar cheese to half the amount to lower the calories.
Here are the updated stats:
Here is the final recipe:
Slow Cooker Vegan Cream Cheese and Crack Tofu and Beans
- 2 blocks of extra firm tofu cut into cubes
- 1 12 ounce bag of frozen corn, thawed
- 1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 large red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, minced
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 (8-oz) package vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Place tofu at bottom of slow cooker.
Add corn, black beans, red bell pepper, jalapeno, vegetable broth, parsley, dill, garlic, onion powder and flakes, black pepper, chives, cumin, chili powder, onion powder ranch seasoning and bacon. Stir together. Place cream cheese on top.
- Cover with lid and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Stir cheddar cheese into chili.