I haven’t made our recipe for Hoppin’ John for a while because we have moved to becoming vegetarians. Traditional Hoppin’ John contains pork. I love pork, but there had to be a way to make a vegetarian version. Leave it to Connesserus Veg to get a solid recipe to start with. There are black eyed peas and smoky flavor in this recipe as well as the traditional vegetables. With a few adjustments, I can add in some extra vitamins. This recipe is also low fuss. Great for right now where I am now officially working six days a week due to COVID-19.
I wanted to let you know as a public health person, we are doing everything we can to help. We know the outbreak is scary and we want to help everyone so please be understanding. I’m glad I am still able to blog and show you can still eat healthy on a time crunch. However, I will say that having a partner that can pick up the slack during this time is a lifesaver. Not everyone is as lucky. BTW- If you want some good information on COVID-19 that is vetted by scientific experts that is a bit more entertaining, check out LifeApps COVID-19 page: https://lifeology.io/coronavirus-center/
Now on to the recipe. Here are the original stats:
Here’s what I changed:
- I add three bell peppers to increase the vitamin C.
- I added a carrot to increase the vitamin A.
- I added brown rice to the calculation of the calories.
- I increased the number of servings from 6 to 8 to lower the calories.
Here are the final stats:
Here is the final recipe:
Vegan Hoppin John
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound dried black eyed peas, soaked in water 8 hours or overnight
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bunch (about 3/4 lb.) Swiss chard leaves, sliced into strips
- Cayenne pepper hot sauce, to taste
- 4 scallions chopped
- Add brown rice and 2 cups of water to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer covered for 45 minutes.
- Place the olive oil in large pot and set over medium heat. Add the garlic, celery, onion, carrot and bell pepper. Sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, black eyed peas, liquid smoke, bay leaves, thyme, smoked paprika, cayenne and black pepper. Stir a few times and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer, uncovered, until the peas are tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 50 minutes. Add a bit of water to the pot if it gets too dry.
- Add the chard and stir a few times. Allow to simmer about 3 more minutes, until the chard leaves are wilted. Remove from heat and season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper hot sauce to taste. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- Serve over rice. Top with scallions and additional hot sauce.
2 thoughts on “Vegan Hoppin' John”
Great post 😁
This recipe looks very tasty!