Here in Michigan, we are still closed down until the through part of June. You may have also heard in the news there have been high infection rates at meat processing plants. This makes eating meat a dangerous prospect. It is a good time to work on new vegetarian recipe. I am using dry kidney beans this week and turning back to India for another curry. This is a fairly simple recipe that uses many things you already have in your pantry. It’s also a great use for more of those dried beans. This is a particular use for kidney beans other than chili, which is a more common use. Time to think outside the box. Here are the original stats:
Here is what I changed:
- I added brown rice to make this a meal
- I increased the servings from 3 to X to lower the calories
- I replaced the tomatoes with pumpkin puree.
- I deleted the added salt to reduce the sodium.
- I replaced the cream with coconut milk to make this dairy free.
- I added red bell pepper to increase the vitamin C.
- I added tofu to increase the protein.
Here are the final stats:
- 2.5 tbsp, Ghee
- 1.5 tsp, Ginger & Garlic Paste
- 2.50 cup (8 fl oz), Water
- 2 tbsp , Cilantro Leaves
- 1/4 tsp, Turmeric
- 1/2 tbsp, Red Chili Powder
- 2 tsp, Garam Masala Powder
- 4 tsp, Cumin Powder
- 3/4 tsp Fenugreek
- 1 leaf, Bay Leaf
- 1 chili, Serrano
- 1 cup Long Grain Brown Rice
- 1.25 cup, chopped, Onion
- 15 oz can, Pumpkin Puree
- 2 tbsp Coconut Milk
- 2 Red Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Cup, Dry Red Kidney Beans
- 1 container (15 oz ea.), Extra Firm Tofu, pressed and cubed
Rinse and soak kidney beans for 8 hours in lot of water.
Discard the water and rinse them well. Add 2 cups fresh water.
Bring to a boil and down to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes.
- Add rice to another pot with two cups of water. Bring to a boil then down to a simmer. Cover and cook for 45 minutes.
Add cubed onions and add them to a food processor and fine paste. Set this aside.
Heat a pan with ghee and saute cumin & bay leaf until they sizzle.
Saute ginger garlic paste until fragrant.
Add onion paste, tofu and red bell pepper to the pan and saute until the onion and tofu turn golden.
Add the pumpkin puree and heat until it comes to a simmer.
Add all the spice powders. Simmer until oil begins to separate.
Add cooked kidney beans.
Pour half cup water and stir. Add the minced green chili.
Cover & simmer on a low for 10 to 15 mins.
Check if kidney beans are done completely. When you mash the kidney beans they must be soft.
Sprinkle crushed fenugreek seeds & stir. Add cilantro leaves.
Add 2 tbsp coconut milk. Turn off the heat
Serve rajma with rice.