I love recipes that a quick and dirty that you can do on a weeknight without a lot of fuss. This recipe takes some simple ingredients and makes them into something spectacular. Fried rice isn’t just for your typical Asian dishes, it can fit into so many cuisines. This one is an Indian-based recipe. When I came across this recipe for Indian Cumin Fried Rice with Spinach from Food and Wine, I knew I had to try it. You probably have most of what you need for this recipe on hand. And boy is it quick! You could have this recipe done and on the table in about 15-20 minutes. Who knew a can of beans, rice and spinach could be so good. I will have to make some adjustments, but not too many.
Here are the original stats:
Here’s what I changed:
- I increased the servings from 4 to 8 to lower the calories.
- I replaced the white basmati with brown basmati rice to increase the nutrition and flavor.
- I deleted the added salt to reduce the sodium.
- I replaced the canned chickpeas with a lower sodium variety to reduce the sodium.
- I added red bell pepper to increase the vitamin C.
- I added frozen peas to increase the protein.
Here are the final stats:
Here is the final recipe:
Indian Cumin Fried Rice with Spinach, Bell Pepper and Peas
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 cups cooked basmati rice
- 2 14.5-ounces cans low sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups curly spinach
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 red bell peppers, chopped
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the shallot, ginger and bell pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the shallot is golden, about 3 minutes. Add the cumin, rice, chickpeas, frozen peas and spinach and cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted and the peas are thawed and warmed through, about 3 minutes. Season with pepper. Serve with lemon wedges.