Update from the last post. I bought the Instant Pot. I am doing some experimenting to see what works. I’m finding following the direction is a bit difficult because there is so much variation with different types of food. I tried my Lentils and Rice recipe and didn’t let it vent long enough and there was a lot of liquid left. Then I look at the instructions and it says it could take up to 40 minutes to naturally depressurize. Oh well, I’ll keep working on it. That’s why I wanted to try a recipe with dry beans to see how that goes. I am using a recipe from Eating Well for Slow-Cooker Mediterranean Chicken & Chickpea Soup. However, instead of using a slow cooker, I am using the Instant Pot. I will include instructions for both. Chickpeas are, in my opinion, some of the hardest beans to get soft. However, I think the Instant Pot will do the job. Here are the original stats:
Here’s what I changed:
- I replaced the canned artichokes with frozen to reduce the sodium.
- I deleted the extra salt to reduce the sodium.
- I removed the tomato products and replaced with red bell pepper and pumpkin puree.
- I added kale to increase the vitamin A.
- I increased the servings from 6 to 9 to lower the calories.
Here are the final stats:
Here is the final recipe:
Mediterranean Chicken & Chickpea Soup
- 1 ½ cups dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 5 cups water
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 can pure pumpkin puree
- 4 red bell peppers, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed, trimmed
- 14 ounces of frozen artichokes, thawed
- 4 ounces kale
- ¼ cup halved pitted oil-cured olives
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
Slow Cooker Directions
- Drain chickpeas and place in a 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Add 5 cups water, pumpkin, onion, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaf, cumin, paprika, cayenne and ground pepper; stir to combine. Add chicken.
- Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board and let cool slightly. Discard bay leaf. Add artichokes, olives, and kale to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Shred the chicken, discarding bones. Stir the chicken into the soup. Serve topped with parsley (or cilantro).
Instant Pot Directions
- Drain chickpeas and place in a 6-quart or larger instant pot. Add 5 cups water, onion, bell pepper, pumpkin, garlic, bay leaf, cumin, paprika, cayenne and ground pepper; stir to combine. Add chicken.
- Seal the lid and cook on high for 15 minutes. Allow for a natural pressure release.
- Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board and let cool slightly. Discard bay leaf. Add artichokes, olives, and kale to the instant pot and stir to combine. Shred the chicken, discarding bones. Stir the chicken into the soup. Serve topped with parsley (or cilantro).