I will admit this week I chose this recipe because I wanted to do some beef stew and try some more things with my Instant Pot. I managed a solid second try with making almond milk yogurt. Still working on perfecting this. Using whole milk was easy to make yogurt with. Non-dairy milk, not so much. Not as thick as I like it without a stabilizer. I’m going to keep trying and see how it goes. Beef stew is one of those recipes that is great in a slow cooker. I love making beef stew in a slow cooker. However, I want to see how my new Instant Pot does. I think it will be quicker and better because I can brown the meat right in the pot, whereas I was too lazy to brown meat in a pan. Making more dishes just to do more steps in a recipe that is supposed to be a set it and forget it doesn’t work for me. I am adapting a recipe from Taste of Home for Comforting Barley & Pumpkin Beef Stew. I am making this recipe gluten free and with instructions for the Instant Pot. It also has pumpkin in the recipe, so no need to add that.
Here are the original stats:
Here’s what I changed:
- I replaced the barley with sorghum to make this gluten free.
- I added red bell pepper to increase vitamin C.
- I replace the flour with cornstarch at the end to replace the gluten and still thicken the stew.
- I added a carrot to increase the vitamin A.
- I deleted the added sodium to reduce the sodium.
Here are the final stats:
Here is the final recipe:
Sorghum & Pumpkin Beef Stew
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds beef chuck roast, cubed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 4 red bell peppers, finely chopped
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
- 1 cup sorghum
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Slow Cooker Directions
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown meat in batches. Transfer meat to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, cook and stir onion, carrot and bell pepper in drippings until tender, 6-8 minutes; add to slow cooker.
- Stir in broth, pumpkin, sorghum, thyme, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Mix the cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water. Add to the pot and stir. Let the mixture simmer until thickened.
Instant Pot Directions
- Place your Instant Pot on your sauté function. Allow the unit to preheat. Add the beef and brown on all sides.
- Add in the onion, carrot and bell pepper and cook until tender 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in broth, pumpkin, sorghum, thyme, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Close the lid a pressure cook for 35 to 40 minutes on high. Allow for a natural steam release.
- Once the steam is released, mix the cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water. Add to the pot and stir. Let the mixture simmer until thickened.