The cleaning has begun. The trim and transition strip are almost done. Moving is the next on the list. I can’t believe it’s finally here. The HVAC guy is finishing the last runs so all of the rooms have heat. Last will be internet service. It almost doesn’t seem real.
For this week’s recipe, I am doing something with sweet potatoes. I haven’t used them in a while and it’s still fall. I found an interesting cookie recipe for Sweet Potato Cookies from Delish. The recipe requires sweet potato puree. If you have some leftover mashed sweet potato, this will work for this recipe. If you don’t have any, you can peel a sweet potato and place in the microwave for five minutes or until soft. Then mash. You can also use canned, but that adds a lot of salt and sugar. The rest is a very simple recipe. These cookies are not to calorie rich, but have a lot of sugar. I think will a few swaps we can have a healthier cookie.
Here are the original stats:
Here’s what I changed:
- I replaced the butter with unsweetened applesauce to reduce the saturated fat and calories
- I swapped the sugars with their sweetener equivalents to reduce the sugar
- I swapped the all purpose flour with almond and coconut flours to reduce the carbs.
- Since the calories were much lower, I reduced the servings from 36 to 24 for bigger cookies.
Here are the final stats:
Here is the final recipe:
Low Carb Sweet Potato Cookies
Makes 24 Cookies
For the cookies
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 c. brown sugar substitute
- 1/2 c. granulated sweetener
- 3/4 c. sweet potato purée
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c. toasted pecans, chopped
For the maple glaze
- 1 cup powdered sweetener
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. coconut milk
- Pinch kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375° and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. In a small bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer, mix together unsweetened applesauce and sugars the sugars are dissolved. Beat in sweet potato, egg, and vanilla, then add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in chopped pecans.
- Scoop 1.5” balls onto prepared baking sheets, 2 inches apart, and bake until golden and just set, about 10 minutes. Cool on baking sheets 5 minutes then place cookies on a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Make glaze: In a medium bowl stir together powdered sweetener, syrup, milk, and pinch of salt. Drizzle glaze over cookies.