I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the water issue will be taken care of this week. We have a professional coming out to do the job. I know Tony likes to do things himself to save money, but he’s just shooting in the dark at this point. Running the pump has been like having a newborn baby. Newborns need to be fed every hour or two and don’t sleep through the night. The pump requires the same amount of attention. He’s tired and so am I. We’ll see how it goes.
I overbought lemons this past week. I now have two extra and need to use them. Since I did a sweet dish last week, I will do a savory dish this week. I am starting with a recipe from Taste of Home for Lemony Greek Beef and Vegetables. I haven’t done a ground beef recipe in a long while. Why not today. It doesn’t look like there will be a huge amount of changes, but we’ll see.
Here are the original stats:
Here’s what I changed:
- I increased the servings from 4 to 8 to reduce the calories.
- I deleted the added salt to reduce the sodium.
- I added red bell pepper to increase the vitamin C.
- I added brown rice to round out the dish.
Here are the final stats:
Here is the final recipe:
Lemony Greek Beef and Vegetables
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 bunch baby bok choy
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 red bell peppers
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons white wine, divided
- 1 can low sodium Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Add the rice to a sauce pan with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 45 minutes. Set aside.
- Trim and discard root end of bok choy. Coarsely chop leaves. Cut stalks into 1-in. pieces. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes, breaking it into crumbles; drain. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots, red bell pepper and bok choy stalks; cook and stir until crisp-tender, 5-7 minutes. Stir in garlic, bok choy leaves and 1/4 cup wine. Cook, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan, until greens wilt, 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in ground beef, beans, oregano, and enough remaining wine to keep mixture moist. Reduce heat; simmer about 3 minutes. Stir in lemon juice; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve over rice or mix it all together.
One thought on “Lemony Greek Beef and Vegetables”