This week’s recipe came about because of a video from Beryl Shereshewsky on YouTube regarding how the world eats mangoes. I love watching her videos because she is so young, yet so worldly. She understands several languages, including Russian. I wish I was that worldly myself. One of the dishes presented in this video was Mango Dal. I’ve made lots of dal, but none with mango and especially not with the peel left on. I’m definitely curious. The recipe is simple. I will make this in an Instant Pot to make it easy. I’m also going to add some extra veggies to make it high in vitamin A. The mango already has plenty of vitamin C. I’m making this over rice, but you can use any medium you wish to compliment the dal. I am starting with a recipe from Indian Healthy Recipes and going from there.
Here are the original stats (including rice):
Here’s what I changed:
- I increased the servings from 4 to 6 to lower the calories
- I added some red bell peppers increase the vitamin C.
- I added some chicken breast to increase the protein.
Here are the final stats:
Here is the final recipe:
Mango Dal with Chicken and Vegetables
- 1 cup toor dal or moong dal
- 1 cup raw mango cubed with skin
- 2 ½ cups water or as needed
- salt to taste
- 2 green chilies
- 6 oz of cooked chicken breast
- 3 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- pinch asafoetida (optional)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp mustard
- ½ to ¾ tsp cumin
- 1 broken red chili
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Add dal to an Instant Pot and wash it few times and drain off the water.
- Pour 2 ½ cups of fresh water to the pressure cooker.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt over the green mango. Scrub it very well and rinse off. Chop it to pieces, discard the seed. You don’t need to peel the mango as the actual flavor comes
- Add the mango pieces to the Instant Pot along with green chilies, red bell pepper and turmeric.
- Pressure cook on high for 15 minutes. Allow for a natural release.
- Add in the rice and another cup of water as well as the chicken. Cover and pressure cook on low for 4 minutes. Allow for a natural release.
- Add the oil to a pan and heat over medium heat.
- Next add mustard, cumin and garlic. When they begin to sizzle, add curry leaves and red chili. Fry till they turn crisp. Add asfoedita and turmeric.
- Pour over the mango dal and serve.